Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Baking Coconut Crunch.

I think i am really hooked onto baking. I actually missed it. Due to recent happenings at home, i din have the mood. And oso now i dun have the luxury of the kitchen all to myself... guess there gonna be less baking from me.

I was fortunate to have a few hours of the kitchen to myself ydae. Jioed my Gweesie to come over to do some baking with me. He was sweet enuff to come accompany me. Coconut Crunch was the recipe i eyed from the recipe book(the 1 gwee got me). Mum dried up some coconut last week. She wanted to teach me how to make kueh gosui but unfortunately, time failed us. So instead of throwing the coconut away, she decided to dry them up in the oven so that i can use them for baking somedays. The word is desiccated! hehe! Learn from the recipe book!


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Ingredients:
(A)
250g Butter
1/4 tsp Salt
220g Sugar


(B)
1 Egg

(C)
50g Desiccated coconut

(D)
250g Flour
2 tsps Baking Powder


The steps are as follows:

1. Cream (A) till smooth.
2. Add in (B) and cream till light.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Gweesie did all the mixing! I was in charge of adding the ingredients and instructing him. He did it till his hand got blisters! I said he was lousy. He claimed he was mixing the mixture thoroughly. As if! hehe! But i sure like not doing all the hard work! hehe! Hafway thru it, Gwee was complaining(looking at the box of danish cookies in my hse) that y cant we jus buy. haha!

3. Add in (C) then sieved(D) and mix till well-blended.
4. Shape it into balls and roll it in desiccated coconut. Place it into grease pan and press it slightly.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The mixture din turn out very dough-like but recipe din sae how did the final mixture will look like. But the mixture was thick enuff to be rolled in to balls.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
It's time to get yr hands dirtee!! Those hands belong to Gwee. GWee was incharge of shaping the mixture into balls. i was incharge of rolling the balls in the coconut. I din see a point in rolling the balls in coconut... so i sprinkle loads of coconuts on the balls.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The final product! all of different sizes! the more he did... the bigger the doughs! In the end, we used a spoon for estimation. still quite huge!! I was warning him about it expanding... dun make so big!

5. Bake at 175 degC for 20 mins.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Always rem to heat yr oven first! i always do it for 10 mins. See see! the cookies expanded in the oven! kissing each other! oppz! i knew it! Because of its bigger size(compared to the 1 in the pic), we deicded to bake it 2 mins over. We even use a toothpick and poke poke to make sure it is done. hehe!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Our cookies!!!! Nice smelling cookings. Nicely brown!! First time joint effort with no major argument! maybe because my cuzzie was there... hehe!


Verdict: taste like those butter cookie. Crunchy throughout (except for my second batch, abit soft in the centre...too huge). No coconut taste though i feel which is good coz i m not exactly a fan of coconut! Quite a few good comments... from gwee's sis and also a few relatives! WOooHoo! I love baking! hahaha! Adding some more comments here: some pple commented a bit too sweet. SO less sugar next time.

3 comments:

natnat's mom said...

I think these cookies are heavenly! You can tell famous amos to close shop already

::Jacklyn:: said...

hiya..yr cookies look yummy! and baking is fun!=)

ManMan said...

Haha! I will continue to brush up my skills so i can quit my job!