Monday, May 19, 2008

Peranakan Inn @ Katong & our 'fun & feast' day

Peranakan Inn

Had to run some errands at Katong after work on Friday. BC decided to bring me to this Peranakan place for peranakan food which he been to recently. I have stayed in the east for ages and have never been to the Peranakan Inn. Its the kind of place I know its always there but never bother to try. Ha!

The place was pretty empty when we arrived. I believe they run a slow steady business. The place looks like those old red house kind of cake shop with those big round marble tables and wooden chairs, except its air-conditioned.

IMG_0779

We ordered a few pretty standard dishes....

IMG_0780
Ngoh Hiang... taste was pretty standard.... but abit overpriced. $4.50 for like 4 pieces.

IMG_0782
Otah... so-so...

IMG_0783
Itek Tim! This is like my favourite soup which i only get to drink it once a year (during CNY).
I had high expectation for this! BUt... the taste is not what I expected it to be. It tasted abit like bak kut teh kiam chay soup combined. Maybe this is how true authentic peranakan salted veg duck soup? not very sure. I still feel abit different from what i drink at other peranakan restaurents before. I guess the one that suits me the best is still the one mum makes.

IMG_0786
Ok.. the fish was pretty good! Really crispy! My only complain.. not spicy enuff! hehe!

I guess its a place I wun be coming back soon. Just doesnt suit me i guess. But i do think its a good place for tourists to visit.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Fun & Feast Sat

Having a long weekend means we can enjoy our saturday to the fullest without the nagging thot of "gawd.. its sunday tomorrow which means monday is coming!!"

We decided to make chinese dumplings on this day! We had some unforgettable dumplings from some neighbour from china. Just wanted to try it out ourselves. BC even suggested that we have a steamboat then we can have dumplings in our steamboat! wee! I love steamboats!

Manage to found a couple of recipes online. Wun be posting it here cause we thot the recipe isnt that good.

Firstly... the recipe stated 500g of flour with 100ml of water to make a dough. My goodness! i nearly died from kneading the dough cause they cant stop crumbling!! which kinda makes sense since there werent enuff water. We decided to add water as much as it takes to make the dough. think we used about 250ml of water in the end.

I was in charge of the dough. BC was in charge of the filling.

IMG_0795
My dough...after more than haf an hour of kneading in the hot kitchen! I perspired like mad and had to ask BC to help wipe my perspiration. Kinda like doctors in the surgery room! haha! No choice else my dough will have "extra ingredients".

The food expert BC prepared the meat filling. He is so much better at this than me..
of course i left him in charge of the filling.

IMG_0797
We wrapped one dumpling and cooked it. the filling wasnt fantastic. so we added egg, sesame oil and chives. Tasted better but still not like those made by the china granny. I guess we gotta get the recipe from her instead next time.

IMG_0798
our dumplings!! Curry puff looking kind was made by BC.. keke!! Such hard work to roll the dough and then fold the dumplings...

IMG_0801
BC stuffed some of his meat fillings into little tao pok pockets! like yong tau fu!

IMG_0805
we made mee hoon kuay from our leftover doughs! haha! 'Q Q' ok!

IMG_0804
BC's special made 'sa ca jiang' for steamboat. His sis and i love his sauce for steamboat!!! its not steamboat without his special sauce!

Our other steamboat ingredients....

IMG_0810

IMG_0808

IMG_0812

IMG_0813

Jus had a wonderful time at my friend's place... her chicken curry was good! Nice to sit around with friend and have a good luff at a crappy movie.

I love long weekends~ So sad.. its gonna be over soon.... boohoo! N the next one will not be here for a very long time...

No comments: