Sunday, July 12, 2009

Purple Onde Onde!!

It has been ages since I blogged! It has been even longer since I made anything with my own hands! I will like to treat it as I have been really tied up with things than say that I am actually really lazy!!

There are several posts to be updated but I am more excited to update about my onde onde! Mainly because its purplely pretty! and it is the first time that I attempted nyonya kueh! Woo Hoo!

Had a strong desire to make onde onde ever since I came back from Malacca last week! We went to this house/shop call Baba Charlie that is popular for their nyonya kuehs and onde onde was one of their specialities. Apparently it is a must-go for singapore tourists! We saw like 3 big buses of tourists outside the super ulu house/shop. Anyway, they were making onde onde on the spot. They were boiling the onde onde like "tang yuan" and when it floats, jus toss it to the plate of shredded coconut and its ready! Seems so easy! I started searching recipe onlines and found this (http://thebakerwhocooks.blogspot.com/2007/05/purple-onde-onde.html)! Purple onde onde made from japanese sweet potato! O so pretty! Made me more detemined to get them!

DSC_0065
kuehs kuehs @ Baba Charlie! Look at all the colours and variety!

DSC_0076
Baba Charlie's famous onde onde.. notice they put white sesame seed?


Mama helped me buy the ingredients from the market. I used the recipe from thebakerwhocooks. I kinda modify the recipe abit. She did not mentioned that the shredded coconut needs steaming but I went ahead to steam it. Steaming the shredded coconut makes it last long and IMO, make it taste better, of cos cannot forget to mix some salt in it! (Been watching too much nyonya cooking programmes) My mum and I also decided to steam everything that needs steaming together the with pandan leaves to get the nice aroma. So we steam our sweet potato with pandan leaves, steam our shredded coconut with pandan leaves and boiled the onde onde in a pot of water with pandan leaves too! haha!

IMG_2382
Japanese sweet potato!

IMG_2385
Glutinous rice flour!

IMG_2388
Preparing the sweet potato to be steamed!

IMG_2392
The gula melaka I bought from Malacca for my mama! And I used it.. :P!

IMG_2395
Steaming the potatos seems to bring out the colour even more!

IMG_2400
O so pretty!

IMG_2404
Kneading the dough was the hardest part! Dunno why I always have to use alot more water than the stated amount in the recipe! But the sweet potato was really dry and plus the flour.. 2 Tbsp of water isnt enough. After getting the dough, my husband feels i did not knead evenly enuff and helped to knead further..

Soon, it was like a factory line production in my mother's kitchen. My husband and I was making the onde onde balls (Stuff the gula melaka inside the dough and roll them into balls) and throwing them in the pot of boiling water. My mother was responsible of scooping up the cooked onde onde (the glutinous rice balls will float to the surface) and then throw them in the plate of shredded coconut. With the help of my 2 kitchen helpers (hehe!), we did everything pretty fast!

IMG_2406
Looks good enough to sell! 3 for $2?

But how did our end product turn out to be? The skin was chewy BUT.. too thick. It also has no ooze factor! But the taste is good! So the recipe is perfect! but we need to build up on our ball rolling skill! Thinner skin! and more gula melaka! But it was overall a good effort!! Tiring Fun! But a nice way of bonding! :p!

No comments: