Monday, July 18, 2005

Cat Tongues ("Langues De Chat")

It has been a while since i baked. Been busy ever since Gwee came back from aussie! Did manage to bake for him some "burnt butter biscuits" for him to try some days back. Guess he isnt a cookie person. Took so long to finish so miserable number of cookies.

We actually had some popiah party on sat with his frns. We did most of the preparation on our own. He did the cooking. I made potato salad too! The popiah tasted not bad! only 60% of my mum's standard though. Wanted to do a blog entry on it but we were superdly busy that we forgot to take pics. I was glad that my potato salad was liked too! maybe every1 was hungry from waiting for our popiahs.

Wanted to do "rub-in" cookies. Those kind of cookies that u have to use cookie cutter all. Decided not to in the end. Dunno y i got a cut on my thumb. Painful. N i dun think any1 wants extra ingredients in their cookies.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Here's my poor thumb!

Anyway, here's wat i attempted to bake today. Must supply original pics so can compare the end product done by me!
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Its the cookies at the sides! The ends of the cookies are dipped in chocolate. Looks damn pretty! if i master it, it be a great gift for pple!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I whipped out the nozzle thingy i bought at Daiso at IMM on monday! 2 bucks! woohoo! Daiso is good! I definitely need to nozzle to achieve the shape of the cookie! Recipe stated it too!

The ingredients are:
  1. 50g plain flour
  2. 50g caster sugar
  3. 50g butter
  4. 2 large egg whites
  5. few drops of vanilla essence
  6. 75 plain dark chocolate ( i subtitute it with cadbury milk chocolate...hehe)
The first step of the recipe was to cream the butter. When soft, beat in the sugar. Cream until fluffy. Then whisk the egg white till it stand in soft peaks.

Itchy fart me thot it be better for me to do the egg white first. WHisking egg white is a hard chore! will take super long! I was afraid of the butter melting by the time i got the egg white done.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Here i go seperating the egg white and the yolks.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Here's my egg white! i dunno wat the hell is stand on soft peaks! So i jus attempt to make some peaks of the egg whites and if it doesnt sinks...its ready!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Here i proceed to cream my butter and sugar! Use a smaller bowl pls. Its really very little butter and sugar. Hard to cream with a big mixing bowl! By the time i finish, i realised my egg white sinked! and i was unable to whisk it again! in order not to spoil the recipe, i threw away the old egg white and whisk 2 new egg whiteS! I am pooped manz! Steps are ordered for a reason!!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Now, alternately mix in the plain flour and and the white egg in to the cream mixture. This is how the final mixture looked liked.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Scooping the cream into the nozzle thingy, suppose to squeeze out the mixture of 5 cm length onto the baking tray. I simply estimate! hehe! super different proportion!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Baking in the oven...expanding...shaping nicely on its own. (oven was heated - 190 deg)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

In my negligence, my first batch was burnt! :(! threw away like 3 of the biscuits!) prepared the second batch and let it bake in the oven. Was able to control the nozzle better and the second batch looked much better.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Suppose to melk chocolate in hot water. I think too troublesome. I went to put the chocolate 15 secs in the microwave. Left: Before. Right: After. Like no difference right? Normal pple will go on heating up! dun! its melted already.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Jus use yr fork and stir....See! Melted! :) Du put too long in the microwave! will burn 1!!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Dipped the eggs in chocolate! so pretty!! DOne! Must wait for the chocolate to set before storing!!

Verdict: First batch sux! It was burnt and soft! taste like "lao hong" biscuit! mum went yucks! i was sad! then mum sae must control temperature. so i went to reduce the temp to 180! my second batch was saved! it was golden brown and crunchy! mum's the best! else i b so sad! thot it was another failure! Second batch was good! :) If i can control the nozzle better, the biscuits will b prettier! :)

1 comment:

natnat's mom said...

I wanna eat!