Sunday, July 03, 2005

Chocolate Banana Walnut Cake

Attempted a new cake today! Cooking is all about experimenting! So experimenting i shall be! After 2 successful attempts at cakes, i decided i shld venture further of my cake variation! I decided to bake a chocolate banana walnut cake by modifying the all-in-one recipe by just adding banana and walnut and cocoa into the cake mixture!

Here it goes!
For the detailed steps, refer to the recipe here!
My previous attempt on Chocolate Cake wasnt chocolately enuff. So this time, i added 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder instead!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
My glossy and light mixture after mixing 3 eggs, sifted self-raising flour and baking powder, Cocoa powder and sugar. Add a pinch of salt in the mixture too! According to mum, a pinch of salt is able to bring out the sweetness of a chocolate cake! I guess she cant b wrong... Lana cakes have a slight salty taste in them too! wahaha! comparing my cake to Lana cake! So ambitious!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Diced some banana and chopped walnuts! U can get ready to eat walnuts in the baking section in supermarkets! Mum sae if u get those raw walnuts, roast them in the oven... not too long! jus enuff to bring out the fragrant of the walnut! a little brown! this is because the walnut will still continue to cook when the cake is baked! Dunno the exact amout of banana and walnut that i added.... think a handfull will be enuff. U dun wanna overwhelm the cake with too much ingredients

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I simply jus used a spoon to gently mix in the banana and walnut in the mixture. I scared of overmixing the mixture...scared my cake will spoil!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
FInally! in the oven! have 1 hour to go bathe and stuffs again! That's the advantage of baking cakes over cookies! Disadvantage? Cakes takes jus as long to cool too!!!! ARGHZ!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Yeah! the final product! See its kinda peaks in the middle and has cracks? Mum told me the reason is because i forgot that i added more ingredients this time. This tin isnt big enuff! The cakes has no space to rise and thus it cracked! At least i line my tin better this time! :)

Remember to let it cool completely my frn!

Verdict? The cake is nice and moist. I still feel it isnt chocolatelty enuff! issit jus me? Anyway, the cake has more bite now coz with each mouthful, there is yummy banana bits and crunchy walnuts. The walnut i bought aint that tasty. I think i shld get mum to buy those raw walnut next time instead. For more bite, jus add more banana bits and walnuts as u wish. Mum brought haf the cake to her office for her colleagues! I hope they will like it! It will surely be a boost to my confidence.


Mum jus got back to me. She said her colleague loves the cake! Her advice to me for improvement. Use mashed banana instead for more taste. Add a drop of vanilla essence for fragrance. Use melted chocolate instead of cocoa for more chocolately taste! To b a good cook, u must always b open to suggestions!



No comments: