Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Happy 'Niu' Year!

I got to spend new year's with my family this year! I love new year at home! Went for trips during the CNY period for the past 2 years. Having trip is fun but nothing beats spending new year's with yr family and relatives. The fun, laughter and food!

I must be growing old for I am starting to appreciate the traditions that we have. Traditions give us something to look back to, something we will always remember.

Reunion dinner is something I always look forward to during Chinese New Year. I love the food! It used to be a rowdy and big event before granpa passed away. I always remember going to granpa's place after sch (haf day sch) for lunch. There will always be the usual yellow noodles which goes so well with curry. Then i will go back home for a lazy afternoon nap then head back to granpa's place again to join the rest of my cousins and uncles/aunties for dinner.
I can rem the dishes.
There was always :
- chicken abalone soup
- Itek Tim (Salted Veg duck soup) --- MY FAV!!!!!
- Curry Chicken
- Chap Chye
- Roast pork/ Duck
- Kong Ba (Soya Sauce Pork)
Most of these food can be kept for days and moreover, taste even nicer after kept for a day or 2!

And we always end the night with canned fruits for dessert!! haha!

Then the next day, my Da gugu will come with another fav soup of mine, Bakwan Kepiting (Crab, meatball, bamboo shoot clear soup) that she has cooked for her inlaws to previous day. My cousin will then help themselves to the duck soup. Its like a soup exchange! keke!

Pity.. part of the tradition has been lost along the way since.

This is what my mum cooked for us this year! My amazing mama! Jus for her greedy daughters and husband.

She cooked the yellow mee for lunch for us like before. Too bad she din have belachan!

IMG_1775
Salted veg duck soup ... perfect when added with some brandy.. MMmm!

IMG_1778
Curry CHicken.. :)

IMG_1784
Cantonese Chap Chye -- this one is given by my ah yee. Hokkein or Cantonese.. i dun take chap chye! haha!

IMG_1783
Pork Buah Keluak! MUm's first try! Delicious! As yummy as Ayam Buah Keluak!

ANd kong ba... which i forgot to take again! keke!

After reunion dinner, I will always catch the new year's countdown and wrap angbaos for my mother.
IMG_1785

On the first, we will go church and have long hours of visiting to my dad's uncles and aunties with all my cousins. Nowadays, its much simpler.. jus gathering among the cousins.

On the second day, we will never fail to go to the columbarium to wish our grandparents Happy New Year and then its visiting with my mother's side.

My dad went crazy with new year decoration again this year...

IMG_1767
Overview...

IMG_1765
Close up 1...

IMG_1754
This branch my dad picked up from downstairs. The flowers, buds, ribbons, decors... all done by him. I think chinatown should hire him next year! haha!

IMG_1762 IMG_1759 IMG_1758

IMG_1763
He made the lights red that I thot it made the whole place looks like a brothel instead. HAha!

Happy 'Niu' Year everyone! Have a prosperous year ahead!

I hope I can continue with my family this way every year...

No comments: