Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Gyu Don - Beef Rice (my mum's style)

Just had a fantastic dinner of Meidiya's beef bowl again!! So full!!

My fwen is such a good cook!! Yumz! Love the "dong fen" & golden mushroom! Its so wierd blogging abt beef rice when I jus had a big bowl of it. Kinda nausea now..jus looking at my pics. Hehe!

Mum decided to cook her beef rice last weekend. This is a dish from her which I love dearly! mainly because i love beef! I rem her telling me that her father used to make this dish for them. They were not well to do then and this dish was like their occasional treat of meat.

I am still on my learning cooking challenge and bugged her to teach me! This will b a fantastic dish to cook for my family in future! Its quick, easy and absolutely yummy!!

A great cook always start out as a potato or onion peeler! So i volunteered to slice the onions to make those fried onion shallots. (i have no idea what are they called in english terms, in chinese is 'chong tou you').
I really hate cutting onions. I ended up in tears, loads of it by the time i was done. But hey, that's wat i have to eventually when i start my own family. Frankly speaking, I began to eye the tefal onion chopper after chopping those onions! haha! i am afterall a modern woman. bleahz!

IMG_8892
My sliced onions. Kawaii desu ka?

IMG_8895
Toss it with salt. Then its time to fry!

IMG_8901
Golden brown. Crispy. Heavenly.

IMG_8902
prepare the spring onions.

IMG_8905
Prepare marinate for the beef. Soya Sauce, pepper, the oil from frying the onions and corn flour.

IMG_8907
U can opt for small thinly sliced beef or minced beef. Marinate it.

IMG_8909
Now to cook the rice. Add some salt into the rice. Else it b tastless. Just cook rice normally like you would with the rice cooker. My mum find it troublesome and slow to use the rice cooker so she always cook in the old fashion way, with the pot.

IMG_8911
this step requires some estimate. U got to put in the beef when the surface of the rice starts to have holes in it. (When rice is 3/4 done)

IMG_8915
Continue cooking until the beef is cooked. Stir the rice and the beef (with the fire still on). Add dark soy sauce for colouring and taste.

IMG_8922
When the rice is well-mixed, add in the fried shallots & spring onion. Mix again. oh yah, can off fire le. Ready to serve.


If not enuff taste, jus add some light sauce. Its really an easy quick dinner dish.
my mum's estimate is: 2 cups of rice for 300g of beef.

Okie. tats all for my mum's beef bowl. Cant believe i still feel so full after completing the post. haha! FAT!

No comments: