Sunday, November 18, 2007

Joo Chiat original popiah & Kueh Pie Tee

Dad brought us to this popiah stall today!! Finally~ Something different for lunch! I am getting sick of the same old things we rotate and eat every sunday! They watched the makan sutra show recently and realise this stall where we used to buy popiah skin from also sells the "popiah cai".

I was pretty excited! So long never eat popiah (where you can d-i-y) for a long time! I love my family's popiah parties! However, making popiah requires alot of work~ and usually when u are already willing to make popiah, you will kinda prepare a large portion so that everyone gets to eat it.

When my mum makes them, my job usually is the peel loads and loads of garlic and shell like tons of prawns and cut them in halves. super hardwork. And mum have to prepare everything like a week before. She will usually prepare the peanuts and flat fish. Mum spends her leaves mainly on her other activities these days. With christmas coming, I guess there wun b a popiah party anytime soon. If my auntie is the one preparing the popiah, then all the other aunties will rope in to help make the other ingredients.

IMG_8959
The shop! If you are early, you can catch the uncle making the popiah skin. I am a shy photographer so never take him.

I think the popiah shop combined with "The Beef House" next to it to serve both beef dishes and popiah! Smart business move! We had our popiah in "The Beef House" . Think its a 'Lao Zi Hao', there are quite a few pple eating the beef kway teow. The kway teow looks like the vietnamese kind of kway teow.

IMG_8960
This is a set for 4 pple. $32! Exp hor! But got 8 pie tee shells~ pie tee are exp! Somethings are refillable like the lettuce, chinese celery, popiah skins and the crispy! If only everything was refillable! haha!

IMG_8961
Close up on the 'Popiah Cai'. They so clever, put the prawns on top of it. Save space!

IMG_8963
The pie tee shells! & crispy! They dun have crushed peanuts and flat fish powder!! :(

IMG_8964
The most impt..... to me at least.... Sweet flour sauce, mashed garlic and chilli!!!

IMG_8965
Getting started to wrap my own popiah! Different pple got different way! I still remember teaching my dear to wrap his first popiah!!

IMG_8966
Add watever you want, how much u wan...

IMG_8968
Mine! Ugly one! Still unable to master it! Doesnt matter! Its for my own mouth only. Thats the fun!

IMG_8970
Next! My pie tee!! Hehe! Chio anot?!

IMG_8972
We decided to check out the beef ball soup too! So so la. The soup was quite clear and nice but the beef ball was not really to my liking. Hees!

All in all, I thot it was rather nice but maybe not worth the price. Mum still loves her own 'popiah cai' (naturally). Actually, i really love her much more too! She really use alot of prawn heads and shells to make stock that makes the "popiah cai" really sweet! But for outside standard, i think its good enuff for me. Maybe this will spur her to make her own soon!

If you are interested in popiah skin, there's another place that sells traditional skin too. Its a super old bread shop along a row of shops opposite Temasek Junior College. Mum prefers the skin from there. We usually buy ours there. I love the bread (otah, hotdog, luncheon meat) from there too! Nostalgic taste!! 50 cents only! haha!

2 comments:

Camemberu said...

Thanks for the nice pics - I've never eaten there before but am thinking of trying them out for a popiah party soon...

ManMan said...

So happy to find some1 who likes my pics! haha! Thank you!